Snowstar Ski Resort Blog

Friday, March 11, 2011

Extreme Super Moon

I started this post yesterday and got interrupted and decided to finish it later. Later caused me to really wonder about what I was looking at.
In the middle of March the moon will make its closest approach to the earth in 18 years. The definition of an extreme Super Moon is when the moon is fill or new as well as at its closest proximity to the earth. Thus we will experience such a phenomenon in the middle of this month.
Some say that such an event will bring strong earthquakes and storms. Such predictions certainly seem debatable. There were super moons in 1955, 1974, 1992 and 2005. All of these years had their share of extreme weather and natural disasters, but were they coincidental or not? I tend to be a non-believer of super moon hype, but in view of the catastrophic event in Japan in the last 24 hours, one tends to wonder. When I was sharing my doubt with my staff, I was reminded of the 9.0 earthquake that hit Indonesia very near the time of the last super moon which ocurred on Jan 10th, 2005.
Does the prediction of the upcoming super moon spell disaster, or is it just another attempt to arouse society's passion for a good doom and gloom story. I have difficult accepting validity of such havoc predictions. I must confess however, that I know so little and I certainly am glad I do not live in Japan. My heart goes out to that part of the world. What a helpless position they have found.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home