Snowstar Ski Resort Blog

Thursday, February 08, 2007

Are ya tough enough??????? Guess Not

I certainly know how to stick my foot in my mouth. Cold weather has played havoc with groups scheduling and then at the last minute cancelling. Understandable. On the other hand, numerous other individuals and groups have come out and had a great time and not a one of them complained about the cold weather........... It is winter...... simply dress in a responsbile manner and enjoy the incredible snow conditions. Conditions that you only experience when it is cold.
Sorry for the digression............Back to my foot. Earlier this week I had a discussion with a Boy Scout Leader. He hinted to me that our youth has become weak and wimpy and that it is the parents that have led them to that situation. I told him that I felt that was an unfair generalization. He pointed to the group board that indicated what groups were coming on various days. He was looking at Friday the 9th of February and said I bet over half of those people do not show up! I told him they were not ones to bow down to the elements and that they would show....... I even threw in another mistake when I said "After all, those schools are all from Iowa and those folks are a tough bunch(St. Pauls' in Davenprot, WACO in SE Iowa, and Rivermont in The Iowa Quad Cities)"
Low and behold I was Flat Out Wrong!!!! On all accounts! Each school called and cancelled giving the excuse that the School Superintendant had excessive pressure from parents not to go and expose their children to the harsh elements based upon Friday's forecast.
What was Friday's forecast, you ask?
Feb 9 Tomorrow
Sunshine and clouds mixed. Cold. High near 20F. Winds NW at 5 to 10 mph.
Pretty viscious forecast is it not?????????
ed

9 Comments:

  • wow bunch of pussys i was out there when it was -23 including windchill had a great time. maybe some people should learn how to dress and not just ski with their coat open and jeans. ya your gunna get cold that way. by the way the parks are looking excellent

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/2/07 2:59 PM  

  • Looks like Jason got the jumps all put up… That table top is nice. The big hit was HUGE that first couple days, I think it got smaller but the landing is a lot better. That thing in the ravine is strange but its really a lot of fun!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/2/07 7:58 PM  

  • Hey Ed.........add Sherrard to your list of wimps from Iowa

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 14/2/07 8:02 AM  

  • Thieves are at snowstar sunday night either a customer or an employee stold my sons shoes I talked to management they said dont ever leave them on the floor I went to kohls in moline the lady at the cash register said she had the same thing happen lock up your stuff the place cant be trusted

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 14/2/07 11:37 AM  

  • I agree keep your things insight. About the groups not coming because of the "cold" is rediculous. I've been out there colder than that and was burning up with all the "normal" snowboarding gear I was wearing. I mean you can dress in layers and your fine. Most of the time I start out in all my gear but by the end of the day I'm down to just a hoodie or even a long sleeve shirt because I'm hot. Parents are overreacting and are over protective of their kids. Again watch your belongings lock them in your car you can't trust no one these days. So, your to blame for that.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 14/2/07 12:39 PM  

  • Dear anonymous(it's someone else's fault that I can't put my shoes in a safe place):
    We offer lockers, both in rental and our main lodge, for as little as 50 cents. The parking lot is also right outside the welcome center and most cars are parked within 100 yards of the door.
    I like to believe that 100% of the population is as honest as the day is long, but experience tells me that a tiny percentage are not. Please use some common sense, lock your car, put your valuables in a safe place(including your skis and boards).
    When in any public place it is wise to keep you valuables in a safe place, is it not?

    By Blogger Snowstar Ski Resort, at 14/2/07 12:44 PM  

  • hey Ed..tho I sympathize with your tough luck on the weather this season..I don't think it's fair to call the overcautious "wimps". liability insurance only covers so much and bus companies have to bow down (or bend over) for them.
    being a business owner yourself, Ed..I'm sure you understand.

    oh..for the anonymous (but geography-challenged) wimp-list comment..Sherrard is in ILLINOIS.

    looking forward to some tubing at snowstar with my kids this weekend!! can't wait!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 16/2/07 10:15 AM  

  • yeah i'd say they are a bunch of pussys me and my friends have been up in this cold every weekend either there or at chestnut and when it was in the single digits i was still up there minus some of my friends cause their a bunch of wusses when it comes to that cold and some of them don't have snow pants(most of them ride in jeans "their cold at first but once they go down tha hill once or twice their basically sweating"). but i agree that if you layer right you won't be cold at all. learn how to dress for the cold and quit treating your kids like babies they won't be able to handle life if you shelter them from every bit of weather that you don't think is good to go out in. i got news for you i haven't gotten sick once this year. so quit complaining about tha cold so get out there and hop on a board or ski's it is winter and the snow won't last all year

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 24/2/07 2:43 AM  

  • ok seriously for tha person that got there sons shoe's stolen. If you have kids you must be old enough to know to lock your shit up in public places(there's reasons why they have lockers with locks, and more than likely a sign that says not responsible for lost or stolen items. it should be common sense to lock stuff up in public places, it's like going to a bar and leaving your wallet on tha bar next to your drink while you go talk to that cute girl"when you return the wallet gonna be gone more than likely"theives are everywhere even in school" so grow some common sense and quit blaming snowstar for your sons shoes missing it's your own damn fault for not lockin them shoes up grow some common sense

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 24/2/07 2:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home